Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Things that take getting used to

Ok first off everything has instructions and they are in Japanese. Well duh we are in Japan right? But we are also on an American military base in an American hotel. That being said the toilet and the bath have instructions. I have to take a pic of the faucet in the toilet, I cannot even begin to describe it, it has 3 dials.

To turn on the water the faucets go down not up. All the faucets in our room are like a typical kitchen faucet with a single arm yo would push up to turn on the water and turn left or right for hot and cold. Ours are identical except it is down.

The driving on the left thing. Yeah I keep looking the wrong way to cross the street. Hubbs has stopped himself from getting in behind the wheel when we get picked up and it is just a bit unnerving. It makes us REALLY not want to drive.

Japanese, yes the language. We know some we know the polite phrases, you know Thank you, excuse me and I'm sorry. We use them all the time with Spanish speaking people with no issues. I speak broken spanish when I need too and do not feel at all stupid, yet here I have yet to utter a Japanese phrase for fear of being laughed at, looked at like an idiot or being refferred to as a stupid gaijin. Even though it is DAMN obvious I am a gaijin.

Japanese commercials are hilarious. I mean where else would you see a giant beaver hocking laxatives, well we think it was a laxative.

ok that is all for now, hopefully today we will venture beyond the gates

No comments: