Saturday, December 15, 2007

Things I have noticed

Even the basic cheap, prepaid cellphones has more bells and whistles than I can shake a stick at or ever comprehend the point of. Some are cool, like besides voicemail the phone itself can record as voicemail. Some are weird like a diary or spending log, but the log is in japanese

Cars are not as small as people in the States think. Yeah you will not see a Surburban or an Excursion but you will see vans, Station wagons and SUVs, no pickups. We have seen cars as big as Chargers, Jeep Commanders and a HUGE SUV called a Harrier, yes like the jet. We still do not want a car but may need to get one. If we do we want a small SUV or hatchback, something one dog crate can fit in. Most likely a Nissan Cube or something else that resembles our Element, there are lots of versions here. If we get the house we want, it is on a narrow road and I will become a superstar at parallel parking.

Shopping malls here kick the malls in the States buttocks. We visited 3 today. 1 was connected to 2 other buildings with bridges over the city streets below. Each mall was geared toward a diferent group of people. We found the wealthy one with its Coach Store and other big names and then the other two were more up our alley. I got a small wallet/pouch today for Yen, so I can keep the money straight because it is a bit crazy with all the coins.

I have no idea how far we walked today but it was quite a bit. Just going to get the dogs at the kennel, walking them and going back to the hotel is about 2 miles. I do that every day and then a ton more because I get bored at the hotel. Tomorrow after walkies we are hopping on the train to check out the neighborhood we are hoping to move to. The Housing people have to deem it suitable for us, so we are waiting.

Before I leave tonight I will leave you with some pictures, these are things we found in a vending machine.

Dr Pepper bottle
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Yummy corn
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

3 comments:

Maria Tafoya said...

Wow. What an amazing adventure you are on. I've heard the public transportation in Japan is excellent so maybe you won't have to get a car at all. And, perhaps, the car culture is not so ingrained as here in LA where people look at me funny if I walk across the street to the nail salon instead of driving. People have actually offered me rides because they can't imagine I'd want to walk - what, 200 yards. :-)

I'm looking forward to reading your further adventures.

Jim said...

Thanks Lauren. We are enjoying keeping up with your adventures. Your mom and Don will be here for Christmas. They are planning on coming down on Sunday, so call whenever the times work.
Love,
Grandpa

Anonymous said...

RE: Malls

So it's like South Coast Plaza or Fashion Island vs. Main Place Mall?

Or, in San Diego... Fashion Valley vs Parkway Plaza?