Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Super Bowl Monday

Since I had a snow day, I was home to watch the game. I was bummed the Giants won not because I am a Patriots fan but because I am a Chargers fan and wanted Junior Seau to get a ring and I wanted to see Eli "I'm a whiny bitch and too good to play for the Chargers" get stomped. But hey it was a fun game to watch.

I woke up early to get the trash out and then cozied up to watch the game. It started at 8:30am here. It was on Japanese TV and it took until halfway through the first quarter for me to remember to hit the button on the remote that makes it English if available. Since it was Japanese TV and I think a public station there were no commercials. Instead we just saw replays, the crowd, the players milling about, great plays in history and heard the announcer talk about halftime. It was different, that is for sure. There was also no halftime talking heads so I got to watch the whole halftime show which was neat. I bet my neighbors thought I was crazy because the houses are close together and I yelled at the TV more than once in the 4th quarter. At halftime I headed down to the konbini (7-11) to get some snackies. I had a digiorno in the microwave but I needed caffeine so off I went. I got a Coke zero, a funky kit kat (don't ask me the flavor) and some potato chips (I am amazed I managed to grab normal flavor because they all looked flavored).

Today there is still snow on the ground. You can barely tell it snowed on base but the closer you get to our house the more you get. There are still snowmen around and kids having snow fights. I did take the pups on their walk, we did not go far before Elsa started shivering pretty bad and they had road sludge on them, I am not looking forward to the mud from the thaw. It is slowly melting though because it is not very warm. I was told that was the most snow the area had gotten in about 7 years.

Yesterday I did get some cabin fever yesterday and headed out. I went to AVE, which is in many ways like walmart. I found some cheap expandable shelves for the linen closet. They don't bolt in you just adjust them to the right size and wedge them in. So far so good and it made a huge difference in the closet. I will definitely be getting more. We are lucky because our closets are considered Western, which means the ones in the bedrooms have a clothes bar. Otherwise they are deeper than American closets and have a shelf in them up high or in the middle. This makes them very versatile but also means we need to add shelving to keep them organized. We came with some small bookshelves which I have put in closets but I am looking for what works best for each closet and utilizing the space to make it the most efficient. The real fun will be this weekend. I am getting my first full check and a girlfriend and I are going shopping. I have not really done any real just for fun shopping since we got here. I have lots of normal things to get, like a radio and a clock because ours don't work here, but I am looking forward to just a fun day out.

Since yesterday the game has been on at least 2 more times, once late yesterday and once in late afternoon today. I guess it was on at a good time no matter who you are or when you work. :)

1 comment:

ablykins said...

So glad to hear that you enjoyed the game! Sadly, I'm not a football person and we don't even have a TV anymore; so I was satisfied to just hear reports from everyone else and catch a few sneak peaks on the Internet between students. :-)

Enjoy your shopping weekend! Sounds like you'll have a great time! Stay warm!